Tuesday, June 5, 2007

So here is the low down on a ferret that was going to be disposed of in a not so nice way. At a friends request I went over to Apollo Beach to pick up the cutie black sable ferret. This is the story I got. Mrs X had brought the ferret home and Mr X had agreed cause he had had a ferret when he was younger. She had Lilith for about 5 weeks and the people she got her from had not socialized her much. She had a cage and one hammy. No toys. Mrs X wanted to give her a happy home and teach her to play and interact. Well for some reason Lilith kept attacking Mr X. Would run right at him and bite his ankle, leg foot, what ever she could get her teeth on. It seems when the children took her out to play she would get excited because the children were loud and then in turn bite them. They became afraid of her. (I would imagine that this was play biting.)But it seems the toddler got into the girls room and opened the cage and the ferret bite her in the face. The questions running through my head were:

1. If the ferret was known to bite or be nippy why was the cage door not secured?
2. How did the toddler grab the ferret to pick it up?

I would imagine by whatever was the closet body part..... tail, leg, head, neck??? I can understand Mr X being upset, but we can not put all the blame on the ferret here now can we? I think Mrs X would have been a kind and generous mom to Lilith, after all she does volunteer work with Cat Call and was currently fostering one 10 week old kitten, 2 two week old kittens and seven 5 week old kittens. All required bottle feeding as the mothers were not present. Whether or not Mr X would have carried out his threats....I don't know, but it was obvious that it was probably not a good home to be in under the circumstances. I can say that she traveled well in the car. She has a sweet and playful personality. After we got home, I let her get settled and use to the new smells.I took her out to run after about 3 hours. She never once tried to bite my BF. She even crawled up on the couch, sniffed him crawled over him and up his shoulder and down the other side of him. Nothing..... She played with the cats and I figured since Parker was my most laid back ferret I let him out with her. They had a ball together. I played with her for a bit...a little chase the ferret, and tickle the tummy, she only nipped me once and while it was a little hard it wasn't painful. I believe she only did it to get me to chase her some more. All she wants to do is investigate and play.
Her new owner is naming her Lilith............................

No comments: